Beijing, 7 May 2018 — Sampoerna Academy officially embraced Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU) as our partner with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). This partnership is aimed to improve the Chinese language teaching in Indonesia, starting from Sampoerna Academy.
The signing of MoU at BLCU campus was attended by:
- Dr. Marshall Schott, Chief Academic Officer of Sampoerna Schools System;
- Dr. Mustafa Guvercin, Director of Sampoerna Academy;
- Ms. Mina Angkasa, Board Member of Sampoerna Academy Medan;
- Mr. Yong Zhang, Mandarin Coordinator of Sampoerna Academy;
- Dr. Wahdi Yudhi, Rector of Sampoerna University;
- Prof. Liu Li, President of BLCU;
- Prof. Zhang Baojun, Assistant President of BLCU;
- Mr. Li Jun, Director of College of Intensive Chinese Training from BLCU; and
- Mr. Ma Tei, Deputy Director of Office of International Cooperation and Exchange from BLCU.
In the early 1950s when the learning of Chinese as a foreign language (TCFL) was still in its infancy, the first generation of BLCU teachers took an active part in pioneering work. As a result, the first special higher education school oriented towards foreign students, the Higher Preparatory School for Foreign Students, was founded in June 1962. In 1964, the school was officially named the “Beijing Language Institute” Beijing Institute Language and later renamed “Beijing Language and Culture University (北京 )” in June 1996, in July 2002 with the approval of the Ministry of Education. September 6, 2002 during the celebration of BLCU’s 40th anniversary, Secretary General-Jiang Zemin and Deputy Premier Li Lanqing wrote congratulatory letters, and NPC Standing Committee Chairman Li Peng wrote congratulatory words.