Intercultural communication is something that is very inherent in Indonesia because every culture has its own characteristics. Sampoerna Academy teaches intercultural communication to every student and maintains the existing diversity, so that everyone could live side by side in harmony and peace.
Before explaining how intercultural communication is taught at Sampoerna Academy, let’s understand the definition of intercultural communication, along with the purpose, function, and benefit in this article.
Intercultural Communication Definition
Intercultural Communication consists of two words, intercultural and communication. Intercultural is an occurring between or involving two or more cultures. While communication is a process by which information is exchanged between individuals through a common system of symbols, signs, or behavior.
So, intercultural communication is communication or exchanging information between different cultures. This communication takes place when two or more people with different cultural backgrounds interact and communicate.
Overall, this communication is the information shared in consciousness between people with different cultural backgrounds, or simply negotiation to share meanings between individuals who are influenced by different cultural groups in interaction.
Difference Between Intercultural and Multicultural Communication
What is the difference between intercultural and multicultural communication? Despite being under the same topic, both have different meanings which are related to the perspective when the interaction between people from other cultures is made.
Intercultural describes a community where deep understanding and respect for all cultures exist. This communication focuses on exchanging ideas and cultural norms while developing deeper relationships.
In an intercultural society, nothing is left unchanged as everyone learns from each other and grows together.
Multicultural communication focuses on the dynamics of cross-cultural communication. This communication explores not only what happens when people from two different cultures meet, but also what happens when people from various cultures and ethnicities gather in one organization, community or a country.
Related article: Diferensiasi Sosial: Arti, Ciri-Ciri, Jenis, Dampak, dan Contoh
Intercultural and Multicultural Education
Intercultural and multicultural education is a belief that recognizes and values the importance of cultural and ethnic diversity in a lifestyle, social experiences, personal identity, and educational opportunities for individuals, groups, or countries.
This education is important to apply from an early age for students so they can grow and become a generation with tolerance in diversity. Intercultural and multicultural education should be applied at home with parents and with teachers at school.
Intercultural Communication Goal for Student
The goals to achieve this communication in its application for students are as follows.
- To maximize the function of school in dealing with diversity for their students.
- To polish students on having a positive attitude towards diversity and differences in ethnicity, culture, tribes and groups.
- To train social skills interaction in diverse environments for students.
- To teach the importance of diversity and how to respect differences to students.
- To train the implementation of peaceful life in diversity for students.
Intercultural Communication Function for Student
The function of this communication in students will later help in the increase of understanding that Indonesia has diversity in values and should respect all cultures, both local and foreign. These values must be well maintained by respecting every difference and increasing tolerance.
- To provide a strong character for each student.
- To help understand the experience of multicultural groups based on its history.
- To teach about conflict that would exist in every society, therefore it is important to provide positive behavior in the midst of diversity.
- To help making decisions and social participation also citizenship skills.
Benefit of Intercultural Communication for Student
The emergence of a sense of respect for other cultures and tolerance is one of the important things in this communication. In addition, the benefits of this intercultural communication for students are as follows.
- Could explore creativity freely without worrying about experiencing discrimination.
- Trained to deal with diversity in the community.
- Motivated to become agents of social change and eliminate acts of racism and ethnocentrism in the future.
- Could learn about other cultures.
- Adapting to differences will mature and expand our mindset.
- Build intercultural bridges that could avoid conflicts between communities.
- Improve the ability to communicate with people of different cultures.
Concept of Intercultural Communication
The concept of this communication is essentially trying to help unify ethnicity, race, and class in a more humane way by emphasizing the perspective of diversity.
Intercultural communication example is a teacher must give the same attention, guidance, direction to all students at school. The application of this concept in school is expected to prevent discrimination in the future.
Intercultural Communication in Sampoerna Academy
This communication is a way to express changes in education thoroughly by correcting deficiencies, failures, and discriminatory practices in the educational process.
Sampoerna Academy takes part in teaching intercultural communication by educating all students to become cultured and civilized people. In addition, Sampoerna Academy does not ignore the diverse cultural realities.
It is proven by a variety of students who come from all over Indonesia from Sabang to Merauke and also foreign students. Sampoerna Academy teaches mutual tolerance towards ethnicity, culture, race and also each other differences by not discriminating against one another.
For further information regarding registration, curriculum, visits, and information about Sampoerna Academy, please fill in the data below.